Friday, January 11, 2008

Motherfuckin Mini-Paris of America: At Least It's Not Outright Contempt

Hey!


Yeah, you.



So I've taken on the real-life-social-experimental-adventure of moving to a city where I've gotten the chance to start at "Go" with some odds already stacked up against me.



First off, lets define a recent addition to our repertory of language.


That word would be: Xenophobic


That definition: an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.




OK, so I know that this sort of outlook did/does/shall exist, but never did I imagine that on any given day, there would be a 3/4 chance of observing this phenomenon up close and personal;
oh no, not to me, not in this town.


No longer would I take for granted that the arduous attempt of conjuring up a second language would elicit curiosity, warmth, engagement;
oh no, not to me, not in this town...not in this country...not in this language.


And so, without presupposition,
I feel no longer like voyageur;
no longer like wanderer;
I feel now, in fact, that which can be defined only as, with all resounding stereotype, that word which is:

immigrant

1. A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another.
2. A plant or animal that establishes itself in an area where it previously did not exist.



Native Country,
Oxymoronic Province,
Motherfuckin Mini-Paris of America


I love it.

No comments: